Are you currently working in mortgages and would consider a career in Property Underwriting? Are you an effective communicator and able to deal with colleagues, brokers, surveyors and solicitors in a professional manner? Are you process-focused, analytical and logically thinking? This is a great opportunity to join a friendly, supportive team to work with growing case volumes. Full training will be provided to support in your development and progression.
Work for our industry award winning and IIP Gold rated company and build your career!
Pure Retirement was founded on the belief that everyone deserves to enjoy their later years
A specialist mortgage lender to the Equity Release market, we offer products that provide simple and straight-forward solutions for use in effective retirement planning.
Winners of the Equity Release Award for Best Provider for Adviser Support for three years running, and Yorkshire's number one fastest growing business for 2018, we work with over 2000 registered advisers to provide a first class service to customers with products tailored to their needs.
At Pure we are committed to exceptional standards of performance, continually improving and developing our business through the colleagues we employ
Awarded a Gold standard 'Investors in People' accreditation, we are firmly geared up to build on our successes and grow our business with talented additions to our ever-evolving team.
We are a friendly, professional and dynamic place to work. If you would like to be part of our award winning culture and demonstrate our values of 'honesty', 'simplicity' and 'responsibility', we would love to hear from you.
We recognise that people experiencing mental ill health continue to report stigma and discrimination at work, and we are committed to creating a supportive and open culture, where colleagues feel able to talk about mental health confidently, and aspire to appropriately support the mental wellbeing of all staff.
Underwriting Team Manager
Thorpe Park Leeds, LS15
Hours of work
37.5 hours per week (hours of work will be flexible and dictated by the needs of the business, therefore it is expected that the successful applicant will work those hours necessary to successfully discharge the duties of the role).
To underwrite Equity Release Mortgage applications by following set lending criteria whilst maintaining a high level of accuracy. Exercise permitted discretion to make underwriting decisions where appropriate. Raise questions with and answer queries from brokers, surveyors and solicitor to company standards through our case ownership model.
- To underwrite applications within agreed SLA’s, ensuring that all business written complies with the company’s lending criteria.
- Full case ownership of allocated cases up to offer
- To review and assess applications and property valuations, identifying where criteria are not met, and, where criteria allows for underwriter discretion, to exercise such discretion to make reasoned and justifiable underwriting decisions.
- To identify where further information or explanation may be required and to obtain such from the appropriate party. Consequently, to have full accountability for own underwriting decisions
- Identify where special conditions may be appropriate and required, and to prepare offers to include such special conditions where appropriate
- Support colleagues across the business in providing accurate information and answers to queries and questions, handling such calls personally where appropriate and to a high standard.
- £499k mandate level once competent
- Ensure client files are always complete and up to date
- Ensure all applications comply with Equity Release Council Guidelines
- Adhere to anti money laundering, data protection and all regulatory requirements and report any concerns and/or breaches over underwriting issues to team manager. Contribute to the development of company’s TCF policy and T&C regime
- Working with the Underwriter Team Manager to identify, devise and highlight areas for improvement in systems, processes and procedures, communicating and implementing and training out changes to the team if required
- Taking responsibility for ad hoc projects as requested by the Underwriting Team Manager
- Supporting in team meetings as required
- This job description is not exhaustive and serves only as a broad outline of the duties required. This job description may be amended as necessary.
This job description is not exhaustive and serves only as a broad outline of the duties required. This job description may be amended as necessary.
A presentable and highly organised individual with a keen attention to detail and a methodical approach to their work. An effective communicator, able to deal with colleagues, brokers, surveyors and solicitors in a professional manner which is confident, open and honest. Must have the ability to prioritise and work to strict deadlines. Previous experience as an underwriter is desired but not essential as full training will be given. An approachable, organised individual who shows excellent attention to detail and a proven ability to work using own initiative and take responsibility for their work in the absence of a Team Manager.
Skills & Experience
- Analytical and methodical thinking
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Team orientated
- Excellent decision making skills
- Excellent IT skills
- Experience in financial services role
- Financial Services Mortgage Underwriting Experience
- Previous experience in Equity Release
- C or higher in Maths & English GCSE or equivalent