We are seeking a highly motivated individual who has the drive and passion to lead, support and motivate a successful team.
If you strive to continually improve and can energise a team to deliver first class customer service within a fast-paced environment, then we want to hear from you!
Join our team and be part of our continued success.
Pure Retirement was founded on the belief that everyone deserves to enjoy their later years
A specialist mortgage lender to the Equity Release market, we offer products that provide simple and straight-forward solutions for use in effective retirement planning.
Winners of the Equity Release Award for Best Provider for Adviser Support for three years running, and Yorkshire's number one fastest growing business for 2018, we work with over 2000 registered advisers to provide a first class service to customers with products tailored to their needs.
At Pure we are committed to exceptional standards of performance, continually improving and developing our business through the colleagues we employ
Awarded a Gold standard 'Investors in People' accreditation, we are firmly geared up to build on our successes and grow our business with talented additions to our ever-evolving team.
We are a friendly, professional and dynamic place to work. If you would like to be part of our award winning culture and demonstrate our values of 'honesty', 'simplicity' and 'responsibility', we would love to hear from you.
We recognise that people experiencing mental ill health continue to report stigma and discrimination at work, and we are committed to creating a supportive and open culture, where colleagues feel able to talk about mental health confidently, and aspire to appropriately support the mental wellbeing of all staff.
Underwriting Department Manager
Thorpe Park Leeds, LS15
Hours of work
37.5 hours per week (hours of work will be flexible and dictated by the needs of the business, therefore it is expected that the successful applicant will work those hours necessary to successfully discharge the duties of the role).
To lead, support and motivate a team of Property Underwriters (including Trainee, Junior and Senior Property Underwriters) to provide exceptional customer service levels for our network of Brokers. To be responsible for and to oversee the quality of lending ensuring business written adheres to the individual funders lending policy. Responsible for coaching the team collectively and individually to ensure our standards are met and T&C standards are adhered to.
- Lead, manage, support, mentor and coach a team of Property Underwriters to ensure delivery of high performance levels in line with the relevant job descriptions and key performance indicators for the respective roles – in particular to be responsible for the teams performance with regards:-
- Underwriting applications within agreed SLA’s, ensuring all business written complies with the company’s lending criteria.
- Review and assessment of applications and valuations, identifying where criteria are not met, and, where criteria allows for underwriter discretion, the exercise of such discretion to make reasoned and justifiable decisions.
- To identify where further information or explanation may be required and to obtain such from the appropriate party.
- Ensuring business written is of a high standard and adheres to the individual funders lending policy. To be evidenced by Audit checks both internal and external as required by the respective funders
- Own and be responsible for delivering exceptional customer services levels for the team’s part in the Pure customer journey, identifying and taking forward areas of improvement
- Managing resourcing and attendance levels to ensure optimum staffing levels at all times, supporting and developing recruitment campaigns, including leading interviews and selection campaigns
- Conduct quality check to ensure performance in line with our compliance framework, ensuring feedback from monitoring is acted upon through coaching to achieve optimum performance and improve compliance adherence
- Conducting formal appraisal meetings to identify, support and implement individual development plans. Drive performance and KPI’s through bi-monthly 1 to 1 meetings and formal performance management counselling as necessary.
- Identification of individual and team training needs and implementation of appropriate training solutions, carrying out reviews and follow up activity to ensure training has been effective. Participate in the delivery of training courses as required, and be an effective coach and mentor to the team
- Lead and motivate the team to promote and maintain a productive and harmonious team environment, participating in the identification, planning and implementation of team incentives to drive performance and maintain team morale
- Manage staff relationships, promptly respond to queries and manage expectations and ensure all HR matters are handled fairly and consistently in line with legal and company requirements to include disciplinary, grievance, capability and absence matters. Work closely with the HR Team to promote consistent business processes and procedures in line with current legislation and best practice
- Working with the Department Manager to identify, devise and highlight areas for improvement in servicing systems, processes and procedures, communicating and implementing and training out changes to the team, and take responsibility for ad hoc projects as requested by the Department Manager
- Conducting and leading interviews for advertised roles within the department
- Supporting in third party meetings as required
- Contributing to the development of Company’s TCF policy and T&C regime
- Adhering to all anti-money laundering, data protection and other regulatory requirements
- Other ad hoc duties as and when required by the company
This job description is not exhaustive and serves only as a broad outline of the duties required. This job description may be amended as necessary.
A presentable and highly organised individual with a keen attention to detail and a methodical approach to their work. An effective communicator, able to deal with colleagues and clients in a professional and confident manner. Must have the ability to prioritise and work to strict deadlines. Ability to affectively lead a team and drive exceptional results in line with the company’s vision. Must be able to inspire others to achieve their potential.
Skills & Experience
- 2 Years underwriting experience
- Ability to analyse performance of a team or individual and implement appropriate changes to ensure improvement
- An understanding of the balance between individual goals and those of a team and organisation
- Exceptional communication skills
- Excellent decision making skills
- Excellent performance management skills
- Experience of managing/ coaching people In a regulated Financial Services environment
- Experience in/of mortgage underwriting
- *C or higher in Maths & English GCSE or equivalent
- Management qualification(s)